Our story starts as far back as 1924 when the original company M&H Jones Ltd was started by Mr Henry Mars-Jones, carrying coal from Denbigh Train Station to neighbouring villages by traction engine (throughout the 1920's, tractor engines had demonstrated clear economic advantages over horse power for heavy hauling and short journeys. But soon petrol lorries were starting to show better efficiency and could be purchased cheaply as war surplus).
In 1950 the company’s name was changed to Mars-Jones Ltd, it's current name today. Although the story of its name doesn't end there.
In 1960, after Henry retired, David & Dilys Mars-Jones took over the day to day running of the business. It was at this point when the company really took off and expanded into selling and delivering animal feed & fertilisers to farms all over North Wales. Keen to seize an opportunity, and with the vehicles returning empty from the farms, the company started trading in buying and selling wool.
The first office opened in “Back row” Denbigh, but soon expanded and moved to the a warehouse at the bottom of Grove Rd, Denbigh. This would be their home until the mid-1970’s. In 1975, the company was on the move again and moved onto the Colomendy Industrial Estate for the first time.
With the orders from the farmers increasing in size the company began to offer ‘bulkers’ for loose animal feed delivering direct from the local mill in Denbigh. This was a hugely popular with the farms as it allowed them to buy in bulk and therefore save on cost.
Here is a picture of the team outside the office in September 1978. At the time of writing this article, three people in the picture are still working for Mars-Jones Ltd, a feat in itself.
In the 1986, the agricultural merchant side of the company was sold off to Unilver. The deal allowed Phillip Mars-Jones, the Grandson of the original founder and the current M.D, to spin off the haulage side of the business and setup Clwyd Transport Company Ltd. The acquisition from Unilever should have ended its agricultural connections but ironically the companies first customer was Unilever itself, carrying animal feed.
Initially only running bulker lorries (as pictured above) the company quickly expanded and in 1994 went back into General Haulage with various contracts gained from the likes of Dynoplast.
Always proud of its heritage, in 2007 the company was able to purchase its name back to the original Mars-Jones Ltd after it was released by Uniliver.
Mars-Jones joins the pallet network, Pall-Ex, to become a leading member depot. This move also includes the exclusive delivery territory of North Wales.
Our HQ got slightly bigger with the completion of the canopy. The canopy completes our ability to become a leading transport company by creating the space to load and unload effectively - all year round.
With our customer base ever increasing (19.7% growth year-on-year) so is our vehicle fleet size. Pictured below is three new MAN articulated trucks.
Mars-Jones Ltd are delighted to announce the opening of our new depot on Deeside industrial estate.
Alongside our Denbigh site, this facility is required to meet our ever expanding customer demand and will enhance our capacity to store over 5,000 pallets.
After completing the move, Phillip Mars-Jones commented;
“This facility will strengthen our presence as a key Third-Party Provider (3PL) provider in the area and will cement our position in North East Wales. The expansion will create several new jobs, which is always a positive move for the local economy.”
The brand new ‘state-of-the-art’ facility uses the latest solar panel technology alongside LED lighting, creating a building that is also good for the environment.
Although the company occupies various sector across the logistics spectrum we are still proud to be called a true "family business".